A leader among international opera companies for more than nine decades, San Francisco Opera was founded and incorporated in 1923.
Since its inception, San Francisco Opera has embodied a spirit of innovation by presenting the world premieres of well-known operas, pushing the technical boundaries of what’s possible, and making opera available to new and diverse audiences.
We believe opera is a uniquely compelling, entertaining and emotionally thrilling art form. Our mission is to bring together growing audiences to experience opera’s transformative power.
To crack the code on producing big art in the 21st century.
We commit to:
- Pioneering new approaches to producing large-scale opera
- Striving for the highest standards of artistic integrity and excellence
- Fostering a positive, collaborative, diverse, inclusive organization
- Developing new audiences and creating dynamic audience relationships
- Creating impactful reciprocal connections with the community through education and engagement
- Upholding fiscal rigor and sound management as prerequisites for creativity